Author Topic: Never Again!  (Read 3253 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Never Again!
« on: March 09, 2019, 10:56:44 PM »
In my pile of blanks I found an interesting lump of wood, 14" x 2", 'Ah a simple platter', I thought to myself.

On it was written Camphor Laurel, some Aussie turners I know talk about turning it sometimes, it seems it grows like a weed out there. But I now know where the Camphor part of the name comes from. It reaks, my workshop stinks of the stuff, it's like someone threw several bottles of disinfectant around the place.

I've swept, and hoovered, but the smell still lingers, any idea how long it will take to disperse or ease off to an acceptable level.

And as the title says - Never Again!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Never Again!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 01:01:21 AM »
lol some timbers are best saved for the summer and worked with the doors OPEN  ;D
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 11:53:34 AM »
I love the smell. Made  few boxes from it and they sold like hot cakes. Used to be the wood of choice for travelling chests for the Indian army as the oils and smell repel all sorts of bugs, moths etc.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Dave Wraight

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 12:22:01 PM »
Several years ago I was asked to turn something out of a piece of wood the owner had brought back from somewhere in Australia - they identified the wood as Camphor Laurel but there was no smell. Perhaps the fact the wood had been stored outside in the UK for around 40 years has something to do with the lack of smell!!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 01:02:19 PM »
Hi Bryan...your question as to how long the smell will last, reminds me of when we had a springer spaniel and I asked the breeder to tell me how long the boisterous behaviour associated with the breed lasts. Her reply was that by the time she's ten years old, she should start to calm down a bit.
Get used to that smell, It's gonna linger!
 ;D
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 02:16:11 PM »
One bowl I have still has some of the smell....6 months later. Been overcome by other smells in the workshop though.

Pet

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 02:57:33 PM »
In my pile of blanks I found an interesting lump of wood, 14" x 2", 'Ah a simple platter', I thought to myself.

On it was written Camphor Laurel, some Aussie turners I know talk about turning it sometimes, it seems it grows like a weed out there. But I now know where the Camphor part of the name comes from. It reaks, my workshop stinks of the stuff, it's like someone threw several bottles of disinfectant around the place.

I've swept, and hoovered, but the smell still lingers, any idea how long it will take to disperse or ease off to an acceptable level.

And as the title says - Never Again!

HaaaaHaaaHaaaa   HaaaaHaaaHaaaa   HaaaaHaaaHaaaa   HaaaaHaaaHaaaa    HaaaaHaaaHaaaa    HaaaaHaaaHaaaa    HaaaaHaaaHaaaa    HaaaaHaaaHaaaa.......

Bryan, unless you have got rid of every shred of shaving you will still be smelling it this time next year...

i have a few boards of it and every time there is fresh moisture in the air the scent is back...

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 04:03:20 PM »
Pete,

I wondered about that. The shavings are put away, I thought to put some with the platter as a 'added interest', but maybe I'll make some wardrobe hangers and put some shavings in them.

Actually it might even work a little to my advantage. We do suffer with Mossies around here,so with any luck they won't like it any more than I do.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 04:05:13 PM by dr4g0nfly »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 04:04:10 PM »
Les,

as long as it dies down a bit I'll be happy, it is just a bit strong at the moment.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 04:13:30 PM »
Victorians used that and / or cedar for the inside of wardrobes so should work. Get the boss to make some little bags, like lavender bags, and fill those with shavings.

Pete

Online Derek

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 04:17:39 PM »
I was just about to add that put into bags when Pete's post popped up. My mum and dad brought a camphor wood chest while in Singapore in the 60's and every time it is opened it still smells.
As already said great for keeping some insects at bay.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2019, 04:27:46 PM »
I was just about to add that put into bags when Pete's post popped up. My mum and dad brought a camphor wood chest while in Singapore in the 60's and every time it is opened it still smells.
As already said great for keeping some insects at bay.

Also pretty good for keeping dr4g0nfly's at bay apparently  ;D
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 03:37:06 PM »
I also like the scent - and most woods are scented (contrary to some websites).  I am impressed that 30-year-cut cedar still scents on cutting.

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 10:12:34 PM »
I have a couple of small bowl blanks of camphor laurel, which I generally save until I have a rotten cold, and then I have a happy time turning whilst also clearing my sinuses! Camphor is the active ingredient in Vicks Vapour-Rub...a smell familiar to all of us who's mothers used to slather our chests in the greasy stuff when we had a cold in the winter.
I really like the smell, although it is pretty strong! The really strong whiff only lasts in the workshop for a few days, and the smell has all but gone even from a bowl turned in it within a month or so. If you don't mind the smell then get some, as it is very easy and forgiving to turn in my experience, and you can get some nice colours and figure in it if you're lucky enough to get a good bit.
If we're discussing smelly wood, I remember working with zebrano, which has an odour just like a very smelly pair of sweaty hiking socks....very unpleasant!

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2019, 01:20:18 AM »
The smell will  fade after a few days.But I know what you mean for me its over powering at times and its does vary between trees. But what keeps me using it the phenomenal colour in old growth trees. Plus the fact its a  noxious weed here means when it comes along the amount is huge.