Author Topic: Trophy  (Read 1677 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Trophy
« on: April 26, 2020, 08:51:31 PM »
I can't say who it's for, or for what the trophy will be presented (on an annual basis) as it's still a surprise. This was a commission from an existing customer and its shapes have lots of relevance to its purpose, and that's about as much as I can say about it, for now.
What I can say is that it's about 42cm tall, cut from a single discuss-shaped piece of sycamore with a scorched and gilt-creamed ring. The disk then had a triangular wedge cut out of it, to match the shape of a scorched ash triangle, so that when re-assembled, the shape of the disc remained true to the original. A cabochon of oak burr was then inset into the centre.
All that remains is to apply a circular, engraved brass plaque, just below the oak burr cabochon.

C&C always welcome.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Trophy
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 09:40:02 PM »
That is a bit special Les, very nice piece the recipients will love to have it for the year.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 10:07:37 PM »
Thank you Pete.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 11:21:08 PM »
Very nice indeed too good as a trophy better as an artistic piece love the wood combinations they work together with this piece

Offline iantivenan

• copper
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 07:11:40 AM »
Lovely piece of work les.

Offline rick_dobney

• bronze
    • Rick Dobney Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 08:07:33 AM »
That's a beautiful piece, I can't imagine the recipients wanting to return it.
I'm seeing mountain peaks, landscapes and the sun.... we'll have to wait and see I guess.

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 09:58:04 AM »
Great stuff!  And much more interesting than the traditional cup! Must be quite heavy? OK to present by a small person?

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 03:31:36 PM »
cracking piece of turning as usual but the design is not for me, that's personal taste for you.

i like the traditional shield or cup...

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 10:55:25 PM »
Fabulous. I love the discus shape and the way it intersects with the flat surface of the ash.
I'm struggling to see just how the cabochon was inset into the complex shape present in the centre. Care to share your secrets?
Duncan

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2020, 06:01:27 AM »
Fabulous. I love the discus shape and the way it intersects with the flat surface of the ash.
I'm struggling to see just how the cabochon was inset into the complex shape present in the centre. Care to share your secrets?
Duncan
...not sure I can explain this in writing, but here goes...
1...When the disc was still circular, a 4mm-deep, 90mm diameter recess was cut in the centre.
2...The oak burr cabochon is 100mm diameter, but has a 90mm tenon on the back of it, just shy of 4mm long....so it sits snugly into the recess, which it overhangs by 5mm all round to hide the edge of the recess.
3...The disc was then cut into 3 segments, the shape of the central segment matching the shape of the black-ash pinnacle. Thus the disc became two wings and a central piece, which was discarded.
4...The two wings were dowelled and glued onto the long edges of the black-ash pinnacle, with great care being taken to exactly line-up the edges of the 90x4mm recess with the front face of the pinnacle, then left to dry
5...the oak burr cabochon was placed in position over its recess, which it couldn't drop into because of the solid, front face of the pinnacle.
6...at this point, I had 2 options...
         ...option a....mark a pencil line around the cabochon, on the face of the pinnacle and then use a router set to 4mm deep, to cut out the rest of the recess
         ...option b...make pencil marks where the edges of the pinnacle crossed the tenon on the back of the cabochon and then chisel-away, by hand, that central portion of the tenon.
7...I settled for option b and turned a block of sycamore into a jam-chuck, pressed the cabochon (face down) into it, laid it flat in a bench-vice and cut away the excess central area of the tenon. This left the tenon looking like two segments of an orange, one on each side, and those two segments fitted perfectly into what was left of the 4x90mm recess.
8...the cabochon was glued into place with plenty of epoxy adhesive.

Les

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 10:40:07 AM »
Strewth!
I think I'd have been sweating at pretty much every stage of that, in case it all went horribly wrong. Definitely a case of measure thrice, cut once.
Because of the shape of the discus, I can see difficulties, but would it have been possible do you think, to mount the assembled disc and pinnacle (without the base) onto the lathe and cut out the recess for the cabochon tenon on the lathe? Carefully!
Duncan

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2020, 11:57:19 AM »
......but would it have been possible do you think, to mount the assembled disc and pinnacle (without the base) onto the lathe and cut out the recess for the cabochon tenon on the lathe? Carefully!
Duncan
I guess it would have, but that would have involved clamping the assembled trophy onto a back-board with counterbalance weights, or turning at a very slow speed, and getting it accurately centered, as well as in exactly the right plane to skim the recess out of the pinnacle, would have been a bit of a trial. As it was two saw-cuts with a tenon saw and a bit of whittling with a sharp bench chisel did the job in about 20 minutes, which included making the jam chuck for it.

Les

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2020, 03:23:57 PM »
Thanks Les,
I half expected it was the easier of the options. Not that I'm planning to try something like that at present.
Duncan

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2020, 04:26:36 PM »
Stunning Les, and from your making description, what a job of work to create as well.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!