Author Topic: First Craft fair post lockdown  (Read 1454 times)

Offline Dave Wraight

• bronze
First Craft fair post lockdown
« on: June 08, 2021, 09:42:52 AM »
Just gearing up for my first craft fair after the long lay off. The question of handling items arises - can they be safely handled - should I have a notice saying please do not touch unless there is an intention to purchase - ideas and thoughts please.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: First Craft fair post lockdown
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 10:06:26 AM »
We encourage people to handle as the tactile aspect of wood is one of the selling points. We do the larger craft events so have to be in adherence to the Covid rules mind which means we have antibacterial spray for people to use which can be sticky so be careful of that. If there are any particularly fragile pieces or items that ere 'nickable' keep these just out of reach so people can ask if they wish to look at them closer.

Beware of people who turn things upside down, poke their fingers inside things etc. These are usually woodturners and unlikely to buy just like to pick holes and put on an 'oh dear' expression. LOL

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline John Peachey

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 04:24:13 PM »

From a quick search on line, the guidance seems to be transmission via surfaces is very remote. It is close contact with others that is the important factors.
Search for is 'covid transmissable via surfaces',which brings up a wealth of info.
Hope that helps
John

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 07:06:44 PM »
I thought you looked with your eyes ? not your hands

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 04:21:29 AM »

I find eyes only bring people to the stall, then some fairly fresh lemon oil smell brings them close, but only touch opens the wallet.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline jay

• copper
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 06:17:32 PM »
   People will probably be using Alcohol gel  on their  hands  . This may well attack any shellac or nitro cellulose  finish .You might want to test some of your finishes .

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2021, 08:31:21 AM »

I find eyes only bring people to the stall, then some fairly fresh lemon oil smell brings them close, but only touch opens the wallet.

I see your point however on the forum we only see photos of work and comment on these , No handling

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 04:28:16 PM »
I had to mentor a blind turner some years ago and he taught me to 'see' things through touch and sound. Often you can sense something through touching or listening that you can't see.

At a show the tactile aspect of different woods, textures etc can often be the selling point. We usually have a coupe of in your face pieces that attract attention and then  people are drawn in. Remember that the majority (In our experience) are totally unaware of the artistic side of turning. They think bowls, chair legs etc and that's it.

Pete

Offline Dave Wraight

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 09:06:44 AM »
Well, two days of a craft fair. I think sales were slightly limited by that lack of touchy - feely but overall those who saw something they really liked bought it. Many comments made about thinking they shouldn't touch but there was always the gel to use and some people did take the opportunity. However I think the biggest barrier was wearing masks - it is so difficult to judge peoples reaction when hidden behind a mask!

Offline michaelb

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2021, 02:26:18 PM »
If people go into supermarkets, shops etc they still pick things up , are you saying craft fairs is do not touch? if customers sanitise hands before as the do when entering supermarkets is that sufficent.
No pockets in shrouds spend it now

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2021, 07:36:37 PM »
We provide gel and also disposable gloves if needed. To be honest, the gel is antibacterial not antiviral and the virus is hardly likely to be spread via touch anyway unless someone puts something in their mouth or rubs their eyes after touching. Recently finished our first show, 4 days, and had no problem. as we are i a gazebo people waited n to kit was reasonably clear and we didn't insist on masks. Common sense is a far better antiviral than the gel stuff. Most people are wary of picking things up in caser they break them anyway even in normal times so encouraging people to pick up is (IMHO) fine. Ben doing shows for over a decade and always encouraged touching, picking up etc.

Pete