Author Topic: Arundel K450 bearings  (Read 1189 times)

Offline Parisi

• iron
Arundel K450 bearings
« on: February 12, 2022, 11:07:22 AM »
Morning all. My Arundel K450 has started to get very noisy. I've found the root of the problem: the headstock bearings are shot. The trouble is I can't find a lathe manual anywhere (even Tony at lathes.co.uk doesn't have one!). I'm fairly handy so I'm prepared to have a go at replacing them if I can get the bearing spec. Equally, I'd be happy to send my headstock to someone more familiar with fixing machines. Does anyone have any advice?

In short:

> Is there a K450 lathe manual out there somewhere that I just have not stumbled across yet? (I feel like J R R Hartley this morning!)

> Is there someone who fixes Arundel headstocks?

Thanks for reading this, even if you don't have an answer. But if you DO have an answer then thanks even more!

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Arundel K450 bearings
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 11:58:25 AM »
If you remove the Bearings your local supplier will have no trouble matching them
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Parisi

• iron
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 01:37:06 PM »
Thanks for that GBF. I appreciate it.

I'm sure I can keep plugging away at trying to loosen the spindle nuts. I'd be happier having the manual beside me so I don't put too much pressure where it shouldn't go but I guess I can't just magic the manual from thin air, and the headstock IS a fairly robust piece of precision cast iron.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 03:13:27 PM »
Just treble check any thread you can see make sure there are no left hand threads before applying too much force the wrong way!

But without the proper manual handy it is basically a case of remove all fasteners (check for circlips etc. as well as nuts) and pull the shaft out then make sure you pull the bearings in the right direction to remove them. Once out then any bearing supplier should be able to supply replacements without too much hassle.

Not much help and I suspect you have found it already http://www.lathes.co.uk/arundel/index.html but it is worth noting that various models at different times used different bearings so possibly even with a manual it would be a question of pull them out then match them.

TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Parisi

• iron
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2022, 03:55:15 PM »
Thanks Pete. I'm half-way there now with dismantling but I've just found a grub screw blocked with what looks like the end of an Allen key. It never rains...

I'm always optimistic though. There will be a way to get this spindle out!

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2022, 04:53:52 PM »
It’s not unusual for pulleys to be held in with two grub screws, one on top of the other.

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2022, 08:47:09 AM »
Hello, I think, Stiles and Bates will service headstock - I'm sure I read it somewhere but annoyingly I cant find it to send you the link.
Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2022, 09:25:16 AM »
Or any engineering company

Offline Parisi

• iron
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2022, 09:33:39 AM »
Thanks for all the good advice. I'll get on it and hopefully I'll be back turning before too long...

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2022, 10:04:34 PM »
I found a site on tintoretto which sells this manual www.store.lathes.co.uk  priced at £29. I used to have one of these until last year and did change the bearings on it. Unfortunately I can't remember how. I think the shift comes out the front end and I seem to remember I had to take the back of the headstock to do it. I will contact the person I sold it to, as I gave her the manual with the lathe. It's a super little lathe though so worth doing.
Roger G