Author Topic: Gilwell 24  (Read 4736 times)

Andy Coates

Gilwell 24
« on: July 08, 2012, 01:51:04 PM »
Yesterday was the Gilwell24 event at Scout HQ near London.

Mike Rothwell and John Leach and his team from East Herts and Cambridge WTCs had as usual organised a faultless event.

We had four RPT turners, a polelathe turner, two demonstration lathes and twenty teaching lathes. All the scout students underwent a safety and tool induction and were issued with mandatory safety equipment prior to getting on the lathes.

Over ten hours we provided 252 taster sessions.

The team were all exhausted at the end of it...and some had to return this morning to decamp!

We are looking to extend the provision of this servive to scout jamborees in other regions, Norfolk and Lincolnshire are two that have large events next year, and would like to hear from clubs wishing to become involved. If you contact me I can put you in touch with Mike Rothwell who is willing to mentor any club and offer support and guidance.

But this photo shows the worth of working with young people and introducing them to woodturning. All 252 took away a piece of they'd produced themselves. And I promise you they were all smiling.

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
Re: Gilwell 24
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 02:01:48 PM »
you should all be comended for your had work

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 06:50:56 PM »

Well done too all who took part .....  Thank you.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 07:14:44 PM »
Well done to all who took part. You are all helping to ensure that woodturning has a future for years to come.
Regards
John BHT

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 07:57:07 PM »
Well done to everyone involved it is great to see so many youngsters involved and enjoying themselves.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 08:23:49 PM »
Fantastic effort, very well done.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline chill

• copper
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 12:48:44 PM »
excellent! worth all the hard work
Cheers Chris

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 01:19:43 PM »
Hi Andy
You only requested clubs contact you. How about willing singleton members? I'd be more than happy to take part in the Norfolk event and who knows I might be able to carry other club members along with me..
All the best
Brian

Andy Coates

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 06:57:31 PM »
Hello Brian,

singletons are more than welcome to offer support, so thank you. The reason for suggesting clubs is that there is a very real need for numbers at an event this size, so clubs are (usually) well set to provide the necessary bodies.

Mike Rothwell & John Leach have been organising these events for years now, and have ironed out all the wrinkles, figured out what works and what doesn't, and have a great working relationship with Scout HQ and the regional groups. They have been asked to provide the same event at different locations, but with the best will in the world they can't ask their own club members to go to an event two, three, or four counties away.

Mike & John are more than happy to provide all the experience you'd need, help and support, and possibly even travel up and help organise, but what they need is willing, able, and reliable turners to commit to supporting the event. This is not something that can be agreed upon only to find later that X and Y can't turn up because they've got a hair appointment. If you could witness the committment from the East Herts, Cambs, Bury St Ed group it's a thing of wonder, and does woodturning the greatest favour by getting the craft out there.

Any seriously interested parties can contact me directly and we'll begin a discussion about possibilities.

As an example of where events might be possible:

Scout Jamboree dates 2013-2014

1. Lincolnshire poacher

27th July to the 3rd August 2013 at the Lincolnshire Showground.

www.poacher.org.uk

2. Kent International Jamboree

July 27th to August 3rd 2013 Where: Kent Show Ground, Kent, UK

www.kij13.org.uk

3. Cornwall’s International Jamboree at Pencarrow Estate (4 miles from Bodmin and Wadebridge)

27th July to the 3rd August 2013

www.kernowjamboree.org.uk

1. Norjam is 2014 (not 2013 )

9th -16th August 2014

http://norjam.org.uk/about

2. WINGS  (Berkshire Scouts and Guides International Jamboree)
  Windsor Great Park

2nd-9th August 2014

www.wings2014.org.uk

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 08:49:29 PM »
Hello Brian,

singletons are more than welcome to offer support, so thank you. The reason for suggesting clubs is that there is a very real need for numbers at an event this size, so clubs are (usually) well set to provide the necessary bodies.

Mike Rothwell & John Leach have been organising these events for years now, and have ironed out all the wrinkles, figured out what works and what doesn't, and have a great working relationship with Scout HQ and the regional groups. They have been asked to provide the same event at different locations, but with the best will in the world they can't ask their own club members to go to an event two, three, or four counties away.

Mike & John are more than happy to provide all the experience you'd need, help and support, and possibly even travel up and help organise, but what they need is willing, able, and reliable turners to commit to supporting the event. This is not something that can be agreed upon only to find later that X and Y can't turn up because they've got a hair appointment. If you could witness the committment from the East Herts, Cambs, Bury St Ed group it's a thing of wonder, and does woodturning the greatest favour by getting the craft out there.

Any seriously interested parties can contact me directly and we'll begin a discussion about possibilities.

As an example of where events might be possible:

Scout Jamboree dates 2013-2014

1. Lincolnshire poacher

27th July to the 3rd August 2013 at the Lincolnshire Showground.

www.poacher.org.uk

2. Kent International Jamboree

July 27th to August 3rd 2013 Where: Kent Show Ground, Kent, UK

www.kij13.org.uk

3. Cornwall’s International Jamboree at Pencarrow Estate (4 miles from Bodmin and Wadebridge)

27th July to the 3rd August 2013

www.kernowjamboree.org.uk

1. Norjam is 2014 (not 2013 )

9th -16th August 2014

http://norjam.org.uk/about

2. WINGS  (Berkshire Scouts and Guides International Jamboree)
  Windsor Great Park

2nd-9th August 2014

www.wings2014.org.uk

i can probaly help with the lincolnshire one what help i will be is debatable

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 04:28:15 PM »
Yep Andy,   Arm a willin ;)
If you would like to put my name forward I would be happy to consider helping out at any event to which I can travel. I suppose there are differing needs and options for each event and, of couse, I can't give a blanket confirmation until these are known but if anyone with a vacancy wants to drop me a line I'll do my best to oblige.
Now where did a put my best woggle.... I know I had it 50 years ago....I bet my Mum put it somewhere safe before she went upstairs!!!!
Brian