Author Topic: Audio/Visual System enquiry  (Read 3458 times)

Offline PC

• iron
Audio/Visual System enquiry
« on: July 09, 2012, 07:38:04 PM »
Can anybody please assist?

The Wealden Woodturners are in need of a new audio/visual system.  We have seen the wifi system in use at Kent AWGB and found it to be ideal.  Unfortunately, the suppliers have gone out of business and we are reluctant to order straight off the internet with out some idea of what we need.

We are a small club with around 40 members.  We are looking for a system that has a small camera on the demonstrator's tailstock with another further away for general shots.  The intention is to purchase a 36" or 42" television for the members to watch and utilise our existing small monitor for the use of the demonstrator.

Research to date has thrown up one or two problems - Do we go for a 2GHz system and keep it simple but risk interference or go for 5GHz and absorb the extra cost e.g. external battery packs?.  Do we need a screen splitter?  Are we asking for trouble by taking the wifi route and should we go for a hardwired system? etc. etc.

A TV  would also require a (metal-framed?) stand as we are unable to fix it, or a bracket, to the wall (village hall committee say it is verbotten). Professionally made items would cost our chairman her arm and a leg. Storage of a bulky item would be a problem.  Any ideas?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Peter

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
Re: Audio/Visual System enquiry
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 09:17:49 PM »
Hi Peter
I cannot advise you about wi-fi as I know nowt about it. But at our club we have two Sony camcorders, and a 42" television. One camera is mounted on a tripod at the end of the lathe and is manned. The other is mounted on an overhead support, which, when taken down takes up very little room at all. Both cameras are connected to a switchover box which is available from Maplins (not very expensive) The switchover box is connected to the television and the switch is controlled remotely by the cameraman. The television stands on a couple of tables on the stage. We find that this setup works very well for us. Have you also thought about applying for a lottery grant. Might be best to wait till after the Olympics are over though.
Hope this is of some help.
Roger G

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 09:32:15 PM »
We also have 2 cameras, but don't use a TV, we have two projectors and screens which mean people on either side of the room can see one one of them. As is the way with projectors, the further back you place the projector, the bigger picture you can get - limited by the screen (or as we do at work - the wall).
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline PC

• iron
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 12:42:07 PM »
Many thanks for inf. but it is wifi we are specifically interested in researching.  We have inf. on camcorder system and will possibly go down that route, just wish to ensure we have all the options.

Regards
Peter

Offline PC

• iron
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 12:47:25 PM »
Whoops, sorry Roger.  Forgot to reply to Lottery Grant suggestion.  We did try for a grant but were turned down on the basis that the emphasis has changed and they no longer fund such projects.  If you have had success in the past three months (that was when we were turned down) then would be interested in havin a peek at your paperwork to see where we went wrong.

Regards
Peter

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 02:53:44 PM »
Hello Peter
            our club have also recently been turned down for a lottery grant, we ended up getting a town grant.
However we have recently set up our A/V system in the club , I was totally ignorant of what we needed or what bit of kit went where.
I got in touch with a company via the internet called Roche A/V and spoke to a very helpful chap called Mike Heywood. After explaining exactly what we wanted to achieve he came back with waht he though we needed along with some options.
 You could do far worse that following this route.
Regards
John BHT
PS, you can always pm me if you want to.

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 04:29:41 PM »
Hi Peter
We received our grant six years ago when we first started the club. At that time every club which applied, was successful. I still think it is the Olympics which is causing the change of heart. After all what has changed in a clubs ideas and hopes in just six years? Nothing. we all want the same. Try again later.
Roger G

Offline PC

• iron
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 05:41:12 PM »
Many thanks for additional replies, will try suggestions offered.
Regards
Peter